For all you parents out there, do you ever have a day (or days) when you wonder if anything that you are teaching your children is sinking in? Well, without a doubt, I do. But yesterday I got reassured that yes indeed things sink in and in ways you least expect. Nathaniel approached me at the kitchen table while I was working on school with the older two kids. He said, "Mom I want to give you a present. I never get to go to the store to buy you anything so I am giving you my special blanket. It is yours to keep forever. It is really soft and you will love sleeping with it."
I look at him, trying to figure out if he is serious of just joking around. So I say, "That is really sweet of you, but you don't have to give me your blanket. "
He looks at me and quickly replies, "I want you to have it. I want to give you a present to keep forever. I love you and since I can't go buy you a gift I am giving you my cozy blanket. How do they make blankets so cozy, mom?"
At this point my heart is melting at a ridiculous fast pace. He then suggests that I lie down to feel how wonderful my new gift is. How could I resist? He went and carefully placed it on my pillow, just as he would have placed it on his own and waited for me to come test it out. After I tell him how cozy it is, he grins with a very satisfied look on his cute little face.
So that evening I made sure to take his gift to bed with me. I didn't dare hurt his little feelings by brushing off this gift as a childish gesture. I slept with my heart overflowing thinking of his generous gift.
This morning I made sure to tell him that I had a great night sleep with his blanket. He looked at me with a spark in his eye and reminded me that is was now my blanket, not his.
It is precisely moments like these that I am so thankful for and cherish with all my heart.
Amy, this is so SWEET!!
ReplyDelete