Tuesday, November 3, 2009
My new hobby (as if I really need one)
Well, truth be told...I didn't need another hobby. I already have several that I can't keep up with any ways. However, I couldn't resist learning something new. The challenge of teaching my self got the best of me and I decided to tackle learning how to crochet. Or as Rob told me, I'm learning how to be a granny. Before you laugh, let me explain. I have a friend who happened to have a friend who could crochet cute little toys. So we decided that would be fun to learn, however in my head I couldn't picture how cute the toy would be with all those holes in it. I didn't know you could crochet tightly. When I heard the word crochet, I immediately thought of the granny afghan's draped over a rocking chair you commonly find...yes...at your grandma's house. So we planned an exciting girls night out in the pursuit of learning to crochet, while sipping coffee and listening to some live music at a local coffee shop. When we got there, she had brought along with her some of the toys her friend had made. I couldn't get over how cute they were. And there were no holes!! My friend had also checked out some library books on crocheting, so we were set. By the end of the evening I had learned enough to get me started. I went home and practiced some more and finally got down the basic stitch. As I was practicing/playing around I figured out how to go in rounds so I did and just kept going. I ended up making Cari's American girl, Samantha, a hat. Later I made a scarf to match. Cari was very excited for Samantha to be sporting Mom's first piece of work.
Next I decided to figure out how to read a pattern so I can make more fun stuff. My friend let me borrow one of the library books she had checked out. This book was full of fun stuff to make for kids. I decided to try the plane first. After a couple of nights this is what I ended up with.


So now in the evening while we watch a bit of TV after the kids are in bed, I can keep my hands busy. I have a book called Tasty Crochet. I just made the apple the other day and it came out really cute. The kids are hoping to get a whole assortment of food out of mom's new hobby. I have decided to make the three boys matching hats to keep their noggins warm for the upcoming Indiana (COLD) winter. Luke keeps asking me where his hat is...he doesn't understand that mom is still learning and still incredibly slow. So keep an eye out for more. Until next time....blessings!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Those came out adorable!!! When you come to visit, you will have to show me how to crochet & we can be grannys together :)!
ReplyDeleteOk I am soooo impressed! Would you move back and teach me how please? I really need to learn a hobby that will magically transform into inexpensive holiday gifts!
ReplyDeleteAmy, they turned out great! So cute. Keep it up and then send me some. :)
ReplyDelete