Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lost Religion

Well rather than pictures, I would like to share a typical Sunday morning in our house. It all begins with a screaming alarm at around 3am. My dear hubby is waking to prepare for morning services. I, of course, drift back into dream land. Lucky me, well wait, let's see how the rest of the morning goes. The kids are up at usual time and letting me know that they are STARVING!! Well, do I feed them or shower first? Hmmm.... Shower! I need to be ready, too. In goes the Elmo DVD to keep Luke from bringing down the house and the others, well their on their own for a few minutes. As soon as I'm out of the shower I hear, "Mom!!!" Little footsteps barge into the bathroom and so it begins. The fighting, the yelling, the crying. We are supposed to be getting ready for worship, however we are unravelling by the minute. I have become convinced the older three get together and plan to make me as crazy as they possibly can. All to be told, "Why aren't you listening? We are going to be late! Why do we have to make Sunday mornings so difficult?" Finally the moment comes when we are ready to leave for church. The car ride to church is usually a quiet one. Mom, by this time needs it and the kids are too scared to find out what will happen if they push this one last button. We arrive at church, the kids bolt out of the car running as fast as their little legs will take them towards the doors of church as if to say, "Help, crazy mom has come out!! Help us!!" However, I manage to throw off their plan by walking in the doors with a big smile on my face as if I were saying, "We have had a great morning! Flawless!" YEAH RIGHT!!

I was recently visiting with a member of our congregation. We were talking about how crazy Sunday mornings can become with children in tow. She told me she remembered the days when she would get her kids ready and out the door for worship. She also told me of something her mother used to say which captured my attention.

"I lost more religion getting to church than I ever could gain by being in church an hour." Hattie Peeks

Perfectly said! Little moments like this make me realize we had no idea what we were getting into when Rob decided to go to seminary. I never thought about getting four kids ready for church by myself. I suppose if I had it wouldn't have changed our path. Not thinking ahead gives me something to laugh at...myself! I wonder how the kids will remember Sunday mornings when they are grown.

P.S. I have several friends who are also pastor's wives who have just as many or more children than I do and yes I pray for them on Sunday mornings. :)

1 comment:

  1. hi, fellow blogger! I saw your Homeschool Lounge page was up and running and saw your blog address there. Very cute! I soooo relate to Sunday mornings! My friend of six boys calls Sundays "Satan's Day."
    I blog also, if you get bored enough you can stop by:
    www.threekidadventures.blogspot.com -Melyssa Williams

    ReplyDelete