Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fiber Arts Festival

A couple of weeks ago, I took the kids to a fiber arts festival. I had heard about it from a friend who went last year. It sounded like good, cheap fun. It was held at a city owned farm, in one of the barns. There were several vendors set up, showing off their home-spun yarn of all types. There was a station where the kids got to weave their own baskets, which for them was a true test of patience. The most interesting booth set up was fun of spinning wheels and old fashion fiber equipment. There was an incredibly nice older gentleman eagerly awaiting to share his love of history with anyone willingly to stop and listen. We were.


Here, he is spinning linen fibers into thread.

He was very excited to show the kids where linen comes from.

They got a go at breaking the flax.

Then after the flax was broken, they ran it through this
tool to expose the linen fibers.

This tool is older than our country. He made sure to
tell the kids how amazing it was for them to actually hold
something that was made so long ago.

After we were done inside, we ventured outside
where some alpacas were hanging out. As you can see,
two had already had their hair shaved off, one still waiting.

Now we are off to pet the donkey. He doesn't have any
thing to do with the festival, but just happen to be there.
The kids were excited to go see him and make a new friend.
He was very friendly.


Nathaniel loves animals, bugs and
anything to do with nature.

Noah even decided he would give it a try.


Before we left the kids tried throwing
some horseshoes.



I had more pictures, but I am impatient waiting for them to load and I have so many others to post. So you will be hearing more from me soon!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun place to visit! I miss the beautiful farmland of the midwest. The kids looked like they had a blast :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an amazing field trip! And happy birthday to Miss Cari, too!

    ReplyDelete